New Membership Model: Frequently Asked Questions
We are changing how we define “membership” and honoring all who support our mission through a more inclusive donation-based membership model. Moving away from a multi-tiered dues structure, any donation amount makes you a member of the Mount Washington Observatory’s unique community.
How do I start/renew a membership at the Mount Washington Observatory?
In the past, we treated membership dues and general donations separately with multiple tiers based partly on family make-up. Starting in 2022, any donation you make qualifies you as a member and can be used as a way to join or renew a membership. Our community of members has been, and continues to be, vital to our ability to operate our mountaintop weather station and provide essential data and forecasts. You may join or renew online, by mail or by phone with an annual, or monthly donation.
Will I continue to receive a membership card?
Yes, when you make a donation online or via check/mail, you will be asked to indicate whether you would like a membership card.
What is included in the benefits of membership?
In addition to advancing MWO’s mission in weather and climate, we’re happy to offer member benefits to bring you closer to our organization. You may opt-out of these benefits at any time.
All members are offered a membership card and invitation to our Annual Meeting.
All members who donate at least $60 per year, or $5 per month, will receive:
- Free tours of our famous mountaintop weather station in summer (Updates to come in 2022)
- A one-year subscription to our member magazine, Windswept
- Meteorology and climate research news from the summit of Mount Washington, straight to your inbox
- Free admission to Extreme Mount Washington museum (up to 4 people)
- Advanced notice of special events
- A 20% discount on all purchases in our museum and online shop
- Free admission to 300+ science museums through the ASTC Passport Program (restrictions apply; please see the ASTC website for details)
All members who donate at least $300 per year, or $25 per month, will receive:
- All benefits listed above, plus
- Invitation to special Zoom events with Observers and staff
All members who donate at least $3000 per year, or $250 per month, will receive:
- All benefits listed above, plus
- Invitation to events in local communities or here in the White Mountains
Will I continue to receive communications when my membership is due to expire?
Yes, MWO will continue our regular communications, unless you have requested that we not send printed mail or email reminders. In advance of a full year passing since your last donation, MWO will reach out to let you know that your membership is scheduled to expire.
If I am a Senior level member at $35.00/year or an Individual level member at $50.00/year, will I continue to receive Windswept?
Yes, but only through the end of your current membership year. Active members at the Senior or Individual level will receive the Fall/Winter 2021-2022 edition of Windswept. The reason for this change is to ensure coverage of Windswept production, printing, and mailing costs.
How will my donation be used?
When you give to MWO, your donations are used to support the Observatory’s mission and work including weather forecasts, educational programs, and all that is required to continue our invaluable 90-year weather record from the unique location of a mountaintop weather station.
Membership@mountwashington.org or call 603-356-2137